Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Speech #2 - A Speech of Tribute Outline

CLASSIC SPEECH OUTLINE

General Purpose: To pay tribute.

Specific Purpose: Without my step-sister Jolee, I wouldn't have made it this far into my life.

Introduction:

I. Attention Getter:
Oprah Winfrey once said, “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.”

II. Motivation for Listening:
The importance of having someone who will be with you when your “limo breaks down” is something I'm sure everyone in this room can understand.

III. Thesis Statement:
Without my step-sister Jolee, I wouldn't have made it this far into my life.

IV. Preview of Speech (1st, 2nd, 3rd, ect.)
We haven’t always been close, but she has always been there for me.
She's supported me through difficult experiences.
(&) She has been my best friend and my best teacher.
Transition to body of Speech Now that I've introduced you to my speech, I will now tell you about growing up together.

Body

I. First Main Point
a. Analysis and Research
When we were both four, her Dad and my Mom met and got married. I was horrible to her and she was mean to me, except when one of us would get into trouble- We both had each others backs in that moment and would lie to our parents, telling them that it was my brother (in the center) who chewed my mothers lip stick or locked her Dad outside. Two against one, we never got punished.
b. Analysis and Research
It wasn't until after she found out who I was that we started understanding each other and became friends.
Transition: Now that I told you about the two of us growing up together, I will now tell you about how she has gotten me through some tumultuous experiences.

II. Second Main Point
a. Analysis and Research
I first realized that there was more to who she was than what I thought I knew, when she found out I was gay a few years back and we spent hours talking about Jessie McCartney. She had not just tolerated who I was, she embraced it we have been friends ever since.
b. Analysis and Research
Unfortunately, starting out high school and being openly gay is not easy and a lot of people aren’t as accepting as my sister. A 2008 study from the University of Chicago found that 1 in 4 gay teenagers have a serious drug or alcohol problem. I became 1 out of 4. I was looking to escape from the bullying with vodka and coke. My sister was the only one who knew enough and loved me enough to get help for me even though getting our parents involved risked out friendship. If it weren’t for her, I would have probably dropped out of high school and still be looking for my escape. Jolee got me the help I didn't realize I needed.
Transition: Now that I told you about how she's supported me, I will now tell you about how she's been my best friend as well as a great teacher.

III. Third Main Point
a. Analysis and Research
Jolee can make me laugh and I can have fun with her, but more importantly, she tells me when I've crossed a line. It's difficult to know when you are wrong in the heat of the moment and being that she is my sister and my friend, she is constantly with me in the heat or not. She has seen me at my worst and and made the truth painfully clear, and I appreciate it.
b. Analysis and Research
She's told me not to sweat the small stuff, she's shined a light on things I try to forget but need to work through, she is my living self-help book and I am a better person because of her. The importance of honesty has been driven into me because of my sister, the need to understand a different point of view exist within me only because of her open mindedness, and she is genuinely excited for me when I do something great just like I am for her.
Transition: Now that I have told you about how she's been an influence on who I am, I will now conclude my speech.

Conclusion
I. Summary of Main Points
* Jolee has become my best friend regardless of our immature childhood
* Through growing up, she has stayed strong and pulled me back to reality when I've needed it.
*(&) Because of this, I have learned how to to be a better person.
II.Throwback to Attention Getter My sister has ridden in my limo so to speak, but I know she would ride a city bus with me any day, any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ma Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Music is Life